Hiring a R44 Hobart

Ask a question. Post an answer. Learn something!
SkyViking

Hiring a R44 Hobart

Postby SkyViking » Thu Nov 9 2017, 01:34

Hey all bladeslapperteers!

I’m looking to hire an r44 around Hobart to build some more pic time in the 44 and also fly my cousin in to her wedding on the 1st of December. Anyone know of a company that does private hire?
All tips and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :D
Billy Hill
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: Hiring a R44 Hobart

Postby Billy Hill » Thu Nov 9 2017, 03:48

No offence intended. If you're looking to build PIC time then to fly your cousin to her wedding, then don't do it. (The wedding flight), too much potential for a brain snap due to the circumstances and too much at stake. YouTube has plenty of videos of wedding flights gone.
SkyViking

Postby SkyViking » Thu Nov 9 2017, 07:15

I haven't thought about it like that. I appreciate the feedback.
tailrotor
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby tailrotor » Thu Nov 9 2017, 09:39

Hey Mate,

Billy has a point private wedding days a a bit of a cursed subject in helicopters but if you really want to do it you should:

1) Stay light (take 1 or 2 light pax)

2) make sure there is a clear easy to approach flat large area to land and maybe drop in there with an instructor prior to check it out

3) make sure everyone on the ground is briefed to stay well away and have someone on the ground with a radio you can trust

4) Make sure that you have a back up plan and use it if the weather is in any way unfavorable or looks like it might turn that way.

5) Or fly in duel with an experienced pilot (probably the best option)

Realistically as long as you careful and calm you should be able to do it but make sure you know exactly what your plan is and stick to it and if you feel uneasy just cancel it.

In terms of finding a R44 there was a company http://skysharehelicopters.com.au/ that used to do this stuff in Hobart don't know if they still do but there website still works.

Also you could ask https://paravion.com.au/helicopters/ as they have an R44 but don't know if its there or available.

Only other ones I know are up north with cradle mt helicopters and Hali-adventures guess you could always ask them.

Disclaimer: this in no way represents legal or expert advice so don't crash and sue me please. :roll: :roll: (actually just don't crash)
Billy Hill
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Billy Hill » Fri Nov 10 2017, 03:48

tailrotor wrote: Realistically as long as you careful and calm you should be able to do it but make sure you know exactly what your plan is and stick to it and if you feel uneasy just cancel it.

Yeah true, don't mean to be the fun police.

Commercial pressure can put a pilot into an uncomfortable position, however in the private sphere it can be the same.........."Please mr pilot/cousin/best mate, surely we don't have to turn around now, we're nearly there, I don't think it's going to storm, surely we can land there, please please please!!!"

As tailrotor said, if you are able to stick to your plan or if you can make safe calculated decisions if you have to deviate from such plan, and you feel comfortable with this then go for it.

BH
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby SuperF » Fri Nov 10 2017, 08:21

regarding the wedding flight. Tell the guy you are hiring from what you want to do. hopefully it is close, get the CP there to run through as previously stated, but then also on the day get him to make the go/no go call for you.

He is totally away from any emotional attachment to the day, he will look at it from a safety point, and you can easily palm off the blame if anyone starts to give you grief. Either way it would be a good experience for you, either trying not to get emotionally involved in the flight, and remaining professional and safe, or else learning how to disappoint a passenger nicely...
SkyViking

Postby SkyViking » Sat Nov 11 2017, 03:19

Thanks everyone for all the advice. Being quite new with a fresh cpl I’ll take all the advice and tips I can get as I’m a strong believer in experience being worth more then the actual training, even though the training obviously is a big important stepping stone to be able to gain real life experience.

The place has a big field across the road and we’re hoping to get permission to land there but otherwise the venue has a big parking space that they have had choppers land on before. I’m confident about my ability to do it all smoothly and we have a back up plan with a nice car in case weather or other obstacles come in the way. I’ve also talked to my cousin about the risk of having to turn around or not lift of at all and she’s confident that if that decision has to be made it’s going to be made for a reasone.

Thanks again to all of you :D
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Sat Nov 11 2017, 11:59

I hope it all goes well, it will certainly be a memorable day for your cousin(aren’t we all cousins in Tassie?!?!) Lots of good advice from previous posters, tailrotor is bang on with his advice. remember that car parks/open fields are always easier to get into than they are to get out of, the R44 is a great machine & you’ll have power to spare. Everyone will want a ride, do that back at the airport some other time.
"Plan twice...Fly once"

Return to “Helicopter Q&A”