Bell 505 CASA certified

Ask a question. Post an answer. Learn something!
arrrj
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Bell 505 CASA certified

Postby arrrj » Tue Mar 7 2017, 03:21

Well, I didn't see much about this ! Must be under a rock... :D

At the Avalon Airshow this week Bell Helicopter Australian representative Hawker Pacific announced that Australia has become only the second country in the world to type certify the Bell 505 Jetranger X helicopter.

Hawker Pacific announced on March 2 that the Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) had granted certification, paving the way for the first Australian delivery to Queensland operator Nautilus Aviation by mid-year, with another four to Australia and three to New Zealand by the end of 2017.

Hawker Pacific’s Tony Jones said he looked forward to offering the new helicopter to customers in the region.

“The Bell 505 is proving popular not just with private owners but is exceeding expectations with the commercial operators that have long awaited a new viable and advanced short light single helicopter for pilot training, charter and scenic flights and air work,” Jones said.

“With a speed of 125 knots (232 km/h), range of 340 nautical miles (629 km) and useful load of 1,500 pounds (680 kg), the Bell 505 is designed to be safe and easy to fly while providing significant value to the operator. The customer-driven design of the aircraft places safety, performance and affordability at the forefront, blending proven systems with advanced technology and a sleek, modern design.

“We are seeing very strong interest from the Australasian market and look forward to bringing this state of the art, next generation helicopter to customers in the region very soon.”

Read more at http://www.aviationbusiness.com.au/late ... Y8TojtB.99
bangequalsbad
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: Bell 505 CASA certified

Postby bangequalsbad » Tue Mar 7 2017, 20:28

Yep, good old CASA ahead of the game there! Seeing they've completely fixed the Part 61 thing ( pop; ) they have had ample time to certify a new* design.

*Not really new. A hollow tube frame with a Long-Box spin system, mated to what (because it's an "A" model) will be an underpowered French engine, stuffed (literally...the XMSN sits behind your head...did they not learn from the Hughes system (granted the xmsn sits ON your head in the 500...but I digress)) into some uni-students idea of a helicopter shape.

I feel sorry for the first poor load of people who roll one of these over and end up with the XMSN busting through the back wall to pay them a visit.

At least it has FADEC.
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Tue Mar 7 2017, 23:59

Test Pilot: Hey guys, she's a bit unstable longitudinally
Uni Student Designer: Aaaannnnnd Fixed
Attachments
IMAG1949 (1).jpg
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Capt Hollywood » Wed Mar 8 2017, 00:44

Pity they didn't run with the original concept drawing!

The same team must have come up with this ugly looking thing too!

Bell needs to poach a few people from the Airbus Helicopters design team!
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Wed Mar 8 2017, 01:34

Agree with Hollywood here. The JRX was touted around 2000', pity they didn't run with it then. If nothing else it sure looked the goods.
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
angrypalmtree
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby angrypalmtree » Wed Mar 8 2017, 07:07

Oh good I thought I was the only one! Check out the ballast behind the tr gb. Proper afterthought. Never buy the first of anything.
Mallard
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Mallard » Wed Mar 8 2017, 12:09

Being surrounded by all that perspex = 3rd degree burns down here in Australia!

Imagine a helicopter designed for Australia... tinted windows... sun visors!!... drink holders?... :) no glass cockpits please they just melt when the cabin temperature exceeds 60 deg because I cant park it under the tree like my landcruiser.

At least over-engineer the gearbox so there is no torque limit when they upgrade the under powered A model engine.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Fri Mar 10 2017, 01:13

Yes, ugliest thing on skids. And toss in a French engine, Jesus, what were they thinking.

The whole thing looks like a collection of after thoughts. But the French engine kills it for me.

It will be typical first of type, sell it to operators for R&D. Faults and problems all over the place at the operators expense.

I've always been a massive Bell fan, but not so much any more.......................
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Fri Mar 10 2017, 01:27

I also remember awhile back Bell came out with the 351 StarRanger which was part of their proposed M.A.P.L (modular affordable product line) and the replacement B206 at the time. The 429 was I think the first machine built using these principles, but they never went on with it….pity as it looked pretty S..T hot.

Bell even tried the fennestron

"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"

Return to “Helicopter Q&A”