When to become a co pilot?

Ask a question. Post an answer. Learn something!
Sadflute
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

When to become a co pilot?

Postby Sadflute » Mon Jan 16 2017, 06:19

Hello all,

I have heard on the rumour mill that you shouldn't try for a co pilot position too early because you may have to leave a company to get more PIC time hours before becoming a captain.

Does this statement have any merit? How many PIC hours should you have before trying for a co pilot position to ensure you arnt capped further in your career.

Cheers (c:_ol
skidnibbler
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: When to become a co pilot?

Postby skidnibbler » Mon Jan 16 2017, 07:59

Two pilot enviroment Oc:=
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Mon Jan 16 2017, 09:47

skidnibbler wrote:Two pilot enviroment Oc:=

Each to their own.

In response to the original poster. Really you'd want to have 1500 pic tucked in the book but, 1000 at least. It's a long road to command otherwise. If you look at the requirements to hold an ATPL that's a good guideline.

Cheers
ET
stick_monkey
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby stick_monkey » Mon Jan 16 2017, 12:48

In response to the original poster. Really you'd want to have 1500 pic tucked in the book but, 1000 at least. It's a long road to command otherwise. If you look at the requirements to hold an ATPL that's a good guideline.

Good advice. I second that :)
Yakking
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yakking » Tue Jan 17 2017, 05:31

Look at the job you're after (Offshore/EMS/MPT/etc...) see what their PIC requirements are and aim to be pretty close to that.

1500 is a pretty safe number as the other guys have said.

IMHO you don't want to rush into Co-jo too soon otherwise you'll miss out on a lot of fun (and reward) of doing the single pilot stuff.
I wish I had a catchy saying like everyone else...
Cleared Hot
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Cleared Hot » Tue Jan 17 2017, 06:23

I would think most co pilot positions would call for a ATPl these days. The old days of getting a co pilot job with hardly any hours are over.
Assume the Position
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Tue Jan 17 2017, 07:55

Sadflute wrote:Hello all,

I have heard on the rumour mill that you shouldn't try for a co pilot position too early because you may have to leave a company to get more PIC time hours before becoming a captain.

Does this statement have any merit? How many PIC hours should you have before trying for a co pilot position to ensure you arnt capped further in your career.

Cheers (c:_ol

Definitely not, I have personal experimence of that
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Tue Jan 17 2017, 08:20

I would get enough hours so that you can comfortably be employed in a decent utility job which pays roughly the same money as an FO gig. At least that way if the industry takes another turn downhill you at least have that to fall back on.

At the moment there are a bunch of very experienced FO's (lots of FO time but minimal PIC time) scratching to get any flying or unemployed as a result of the oil and gas industry shedding a bunch of staff in the downturn the last few years.

Keep your options open. That's not to say that you 'couldn't' get a dream run as a very junior FO and work your way into a captaincy within the one company, but it doesn't leave you many options if the industry turns to custard again.

The junior FO's that have probably been the most successful in the industry taking an FO position with low hours are the guys/gals on the CHC RAAF SAR contract.

Though keep in mind it could also be a double edged sword not jumping on the train when the majors do their next big round of hiring FO's i.e. Once they fill up then you may have missed the cycle for the next 7-8 years to get into a heavy.

It comes down to how you want to hedge your risk.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Tue Jan 17 2017, 10:04

havick wrote:hough keep in mind it could also be a double edged sword not jumping on the train when the majors do their next big round of hiring FO's i.e. Once they fill up then you may have missed the cycle for the next 7-8 years to get into a heavy.

Would those said positions not be filled by the unfortunates of the great cull of 2016? Is/will the work be there again?
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Tue Jan 17 2017, 16:41

Hello Pilots wrote:
havick wrote:hough keep in mind it could also be a double edged sword not jumping on the train when the majors do their next big round of hiring FO's i.e. Once they fill up then you may have missed the cycle for the next 7-8 years to get into a heavy.

Would those said positions not be filled by the unfortunates of the great cull of 2016? Is/will the work be there again?

Not necessarily. The one thing I've learned about this industry is that nothing is a given.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Return to “Helicopter Q&A”