Environmental impact/footprint of R44's??

Ask a question. Post an answer. Learn something!
NWA194

Environmental impact/footprint of R44's??

Postby NWA194 » Mon Oct 24 2016, 02:03

Hi all,
Im hoping someone could let me know IF any environmental impact assessments have ever been conducted in Australia relating to the operation of R44's.
Im sure Im not the only one in the country who has (and is) applying through Local Government Departments for approval to operate scenic flights from a rural area that is not associated with an airport or heliport.
It seams to me that many of those involved with planning applications within local governments have this perception that a helicopter is this big, dirty machine that will contaminate groundwater supplies and cause other untold damage to the natural environment, and yet they have no problem approving applications involving tractors and earthmoving equipment in the same areas.
Sometimes it seams an impossible task trying to convince the 'powers that be' that there would be lower risk of environmental damage from a helicopter than from diesel powered agricultural machines.
Ive trawled the internet hoping to find something/anything but so far not succesfully.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Environmental impact/footprint of R44's??

Postby havick » Mon Oct 24 2016, 03:17

I'm guessing Ian Batton would be a good start down in Phillip Island VIC. They would've had to jump through all sorts of hoops to get their pads off the airport up and running.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
froginasock
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby froginasock » Mon Oct 24 2016, 04:11

Depending on where you are going to operate - and the existing 'zoning' of the property - one of the big issues is 'noise' pollution. Mitigate that one and the others can be reasonably simple. Note: very location dependent!
Gonsky
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Gonsky » Mon Oct 24 2016, 04:20

Depends on the area and council, I am looking to establish a private pad ( not commercial ) with use about 4 times a week max and it is not easy. Some of the main points I have found is with fuel storage. Some fuel companies give you tanks with all the bells and whistles that have gone through various processes and got certification so that is one step closer.

Some areas have grandfathered in strips and pads with zero impact studies and now they are all up to speed and want the lot even if it is next door.

Also good to get a town planner on side and they are a great buffer between the powers to be and ripping your hair out. Most councils are totally over worked and they outsource stuff to their planners. Get the planner on side and your sorted. Try and go it alone and it will do your head in unless you have compromising photos of the council staff :wink:

Bottom line is it just costs money and time.

Regards,

Gregory
'Mankind has a perfect record in aviation - we have never left one up there!'
NWA194

Postby NWA194 » Mon Oct 24 2016, 07:59

I hear you Darkstar, we went down that road last year and it wasn't easy at all! Fortunately with the fuel issue we are ok as long as we store less than 1000lt on site- this is at our own Hangar on our property. But the BS we had to deal with just to get private and commuting use from our own property was HUGE and very draining.
Froginasock, the area is a small pocket zoned SP (Shire Purposes) within a General Rural zoning. The site is ideal as its closest dwelling is just over 1500m away so we know noise will not be an issue at that distance.
Havick, thanks for that, I have emailed Ian and just received a reply. He didn't have to get an environmental study though. (He is operating from an airport)

The big issue is simply getting them to realise that helicopters are not dirty or environmentally as damaging as many vehicles (thinking of off roaders damaging coastal dune systems) and tractors etc.

Thanks for your comments, keep them coming.....
Gonsky
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Gonsky » Mon Oct 24 2016, 10:15

I would think it is more a PR exercise when your trying to set up joy flights, get the council on side and it will go smoothly. Convince them it could be good for tourism and the like, they are all running out of money so if they think it could bring some $$ to the community they would probably get behind it. Also if you establish flight corridors, noise studies, fire drills, safety statistics and the like will also help your case. Basically the more you can give then the less they will want to deal with.

Doing it as a private exercise without running a business is much easier.

Regards,

Gregory
'Mankind has a perfect record in aviation - we have never left one up there!'

Return to “Helicopter Q&A”