Help with newstarter direction

Ask a question. Post an answer. Learn something!
Candle

Help with newstarter direction

Postby Candle » Wed Aug 17 2016, 01:30

Hi Rotary professionals/enthusiasts. First time poster. I had a couple of questions for guys not running schools in Australia (although that perspective may help too).

Question 1) I currently suffer from migraines. I have a physical trigger that is in the process of being resolved which should remove them from my life (which would be great). From the Commercial perspective, are you precluded (from your experiences) from obtaining a class 1 having had a history of migraines? CASA is a little frustrating to deal with, simply saying they will assess me on an individual basis rather than a more definitive answer. I appreciate the attempt to be inclusive of those who may be exceptions to the rule but it leaves me hanging a bit. I understand no answer here is difinitive, or legal in any way, just want a perspective.

Question 2) What kind of pathways are open to pilots working towards a career end-goal of SaR and/or ambulatory flying? I figured it would be many hours flying as a muster pilot and/or scenic flying, but I'm thinking more are there jobs in these sectors that will give me secondary skills/exposure that will give me an edge later on? Or even ones that require some work that may crossover such as winching, mountain flying, dangerous/small landing-zones etc. Realistically, any job that will help steer me to skills and exposure that will in any way help.

Thank you in advance for any input. It's a bit hard to get the perspective I am after speaking to schools because they don't really cover these areas in the career sense. However, happy for any input people have.
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Re: Help with newstarter direction

Postby Eric Hunt » Wed Aug 17 2016, 02:44

Comrade, you will get the same answers here as you got on Prune.
Candle

Postby Candle » Wed Aug 17 2016, 03:11

I was told to come to this site and post it. I haven't looked at that post since then.
Candle

Postby Candle » Wed Aug 17 2016, 03:26

I have been back across and many useful replies, thanks for the heads up. If anyone replied that side no need to copy here.

I appreciate the time taken.
tailrotor
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby tailrotor » Wed Aug 17 2016, 04:37

1) Your answer to ALL medical questions that start with "do you have a history of......." is "NO!"

2) SAR/any Multi engine stuff requires you to work in the Oil rig industry or Military there are for essentially no other real options for getting into this stuff expect 10+ years before you even get near that. Your Pathway for that type of flying is train CPL->Get 800-100 hours PIC->Study ATPL and IREX theory -> Apply to Bristow or similar (fyi they are currently laying people off or threatening to as there is not much work) once employed spend at least 5 years with the company to built ME renewals and time then try for your SAR position either with the company or externally but its a LONG and hard road.
Candle

Postby Candle » Wed Aug 17 2016, 06:17

Thanks for the info tailrotor.

10+ years is fine, I expect it to be end-of-career as a goal, so no problems their. Long hard road doesn't bother me, I have been doing so much reading and all I read is how hard it is in the rotary industry but I want it, so that's not an obstacle I'm worried about.

That line of work though helps a lot. Gives me something to work with. It is surprisingly hard to find career progression pathways in the aviation industry in general outside of fixed wing in the major providers (Qantas, etc.). It seems to be very much hope you get it right first time.

I'm definitely getting a lot of doom and gloom about the industry, and that is sad to be honest. It flies in the face (I'm not sure if I intended that pun) of what I am reading in media and schools, which is why I wanted to get a different perspective from those actually trying to find the jobs, as opposed to those selling a service. Not sure why the industry is declining, considering it's usefulness, but hopefully by the time I am trained up it will be swinging back up again.
Ray McCooney
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Ray McCooney » Wed Aug 17 2016, 07:00

Your answer to ALL medical questions that start with "do you have a history of......." is "NO!"

Do Not Lie on your medical. Anyone who tells you otherwise lacks integrity, always tell the truth in this game. The repercussions can be fatal if lies are told in aviation. Do not do it.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Wed Aug 17 2016, 07:15

Well said Ray. telling lies or omitting information at your medical will not end well.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
FatBoy1971
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby FatBoy1971 » Wed Aug 17 2016, 11:15

Another benefit of telling the truth in medicals is that you don't have to remember what lies you have told!!
To alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.
Jabberwocky
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Jabberwocky » Wed Aug 17 2016, 13:40

FatBoy1971 wrote:Another benefit of telling the truth in medicals is that you don't have to remember what lies you have told!!

That works for women too. The sooner you learn that, the simpler your life will be.
Queestce
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Queestce » Thu Aug 18 2016, 10:24

This thread may be of use to you; should answer some questions relating to the EMS/SAR side of things.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3127&p=27033&hilit=ems#p27033

The medical query is a whole different kettle of fish...

Return to “Helicopter Q&A”