Mobile Phone / Mobile Data Use in Ops Manual

Ask a question. Post an answer. Learn something!
CW Pirate

Mobile Phone / Mobile Data Use in Ops Manual

Postby CW Pirate » Fri Feb 5 2016, 05:52

Does anyone have any experience amending ops manuals to incorporate the use of mobile phones or mobile devices by flight crew?

CASA requires pax to place items in flight mode in their Advice to Air Travellers (https://www.casa.gov.au/education/standard-page/when-can-you-use-your-mobile-phone) but the only other guidance I can find relates to use of mobile devices during refuelling "CASA EX66/14 - Exemption — use of mobile phones and other electronic devices when loading fuel (https://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2014L01049)

Obviously many many operators incorporate the inflight use of mobile telephones in their operation. I imagine that you need to show that you've taken into consideration any EM interference/EM compatibility issues, but how do you do that? Is there generic data that can be referenced?

Thanks in advance
CWP
Dauphin
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: Mobile Phone / Mobile Data Use in Ops Manual

Postby Dauphin » Fri Feb 5 2016, 09:13

CAAP 233-1(1) should give you some guidance.
CW Pirate

Postby CW Pirate » Fri Feb 5 2016, 15:10

Dauphin wrote:CAAP 233-1(1) should give you some guidance.
Yep, thanks for that Dauphin. That'd be where I would start for the EMI/EMC stuff.

What about using a mobile telephone though? Any references that would either permit or prohibit a crew member using their phone inflight via their headset for example? Or has is the rulebook deficient in that regard :roll: ?
coptathat
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby coptathat » Sat Feb 6 2016, 19:54

Have a look at AWB 23-3. (Airworthiness Bulletin) it's all about the use of PED's

Return to “Helicopter Q&A”