Skidmarks .....

Fancy something that gives you a giggle?
Footprint Productions
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Skidmarks .....

Postby Footprint Productions » Tue Dec 10 2013, 20:55

garly1
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: Skidmarks .....

Postby garly1 » Tue Dec 10 2013, 22:33

Regardless of whether or not it is a set up that is some effin dangerous flying!!!!!!
100ft
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby 100ft » Wed Dec 11 2013, 00:25

Sliding on ice. who hasn't. doing it a 60mph, not so smart. Passing that close to people. Thats Darwin award kind of stuff.
BenThomas
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby BenThomas » Wed Dec 11 2013, 06:49

Helicopters are already cool......................... You do not need to show off. I hope the bell end loses his licence before he kills someone showing of for know reason other than to prove to the great wide would how fire trucking awesome he is.
Heli
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Heli » Wed Dec 11 2013, 07:45

The planning for the production:

[youtube]zjA24fQcscg[/youtube]
BenThomas
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby BenThomas » Wed Dec 11 2013, 07:54

And the point of it was? Was it for an advert, movies ect. I'm glad to see there was planning taken into consideration but still why?
Heli
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Heli » Wed Dec 11 2013, 08:52

From Bradley Friesen, the pilot:

Published on Dec 10, 2013
Last night, a video of mine made its rounds on the internet. Some websites labeled it as "Helicopter Skates Across Iced Over Lake At Full Tilt, Nearly Takes Out A Hockey Game!", which, makes it seem like I almost killed 8 people on the ice and they were unaware of my approach. Well, that wasn't the case.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=...

Last night, I wrote an email to Transport Canada proactively. Unfortunately, YouTube's descriptions won't allow me to post the full email. Here is a link to the complete email. I will post as long as this allows here.

http://imgur.com/a/AeZBs

"I'm sure this is unusual for a pilot to essentially call enforcement on himself, but I put a video online yesterday that I feel might need some explanation. I truly believe it was done in a safe, and responsible manner, without danger to the aircraft or crew-members on the "ground". Since the video is already generating a lot of World Wide views, I figured it would be best to show you and explain how the video was done.

So, Saturday morning, I took off at 6:30am, and flew up to inspect lakes for the perfect hockey game. I found the exact lake I was looking for, landed on a small raised beach and chopped through the ice with a hatchet and measured. Like I suspected, the ice was more than 10" thick. By the farmers almanac ice safety chart, that's thick enough to safely support the weight of a 3.5 ton medium sized truck. More than enough to support the weight of skaters and a light helicopter.

http://www.almanac.com/.../new.../fil...

I flew back to YPK, and met 4 buddies who are former WHL hockey players. I flew them 2 at a time back to the lake, and filmed them skating and playing hockey.

During the day, I tested several landings on the ice with the helicopter maintaining a forward speed of 15kts, and sliding with 100-150lbs of the helicopter's weight on the ice. Just enough to get the skids of the helicopter flat on the surface, but light enough to rise easily and smoothly back into the air. I found it extremely easy to gauge the ice height, and determined it was safe for me to slide across the ice with the helicopter pointed forward, in the direction of travel. I had a plan for a shot I wanted to capture the following day with more coordiantion.

When we returned to YPK, we showed pictures and video to other Helicopter pilots who all wanted to be involved in a second day of filming, so, I organized 8 former WHL players and 4 helicopters.

Sunday morning, we all met at YPK for an initial safety briefing, and flew +3 back to the lake with and aStar, H300 and 2 R-44's. It was -12 overnight, and added more thickness to the sheet. I walked the entire surface with a chainsaw and tape measure, and inspected the whole ice sheet. It was thick all the way across and had no ridges or holes. There was a small section of open water caused by a waterfall at the far end of the lake. We determined a safety line that no skaters were permitted to cross based on our test holes.

The 2 pilots from BC Helicopters brought their hockey equipment and hand held aviation radios to act as coordinators on the ice between the skaters and helicopter.

After a long safety briefing and walk through of the shots we had planned, we began filming. One of our first shots of the day was the video I would like to share with you. It involved the 8 skaters, 6 former WHL players and 2 BC Helicopter pilots standing in a row across the ice with a small hole between them. The 2 BC Helicopter pilots were located on the left side, and the 6 WHL players on the right. I started from a hover, 200 meters down the ice, and slowly descended onto the ice surface at a speed of 15 kts. and slid across the ice towards the group, aiming my nose at the hole they left form me between the BC Helicopter pilots and the WHL players.

As I approached, the pilots from BC Helicopters called an audible signal for all the parties to move, opening a much larger hole which I continued to slide the helicopter through. We purposely placed the 2 helicopter pilots on my left side, to keep any of the WHL players as far from the tail-rotor as possible. Once I was completely past the group, I waited 2 seconds before initiating a left peddle turn while lifting into the air, to capture the entire group skating towards me.

Here is the link to the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlCg5...

Again. I believe this was done in a completely safe and responsible manor. All risks and possible safety hazards were discussed with the crew. Every person acknowledged the possible risks and decided to be involved with their own free will. We took precautions to place people in the appropriate positions for maximum tail-rotor safety. We had 3 helicopters on standby should any incident occur and first aid trained individuals as part of the extended group
sam 34
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby sam 34 » Wed Dec 11 2013, 10:10

Hughesy
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Hughesy » Wed Dec 11 2013, 10:47

These are the same guys (BC HELICOPTERS) that were doing a full down auto into a small space in front of a hangar. With guys on the ground filming.
BenThomas
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby BenThomas » Wed Dec 11 2013, 12:47

Thank you for posting the reply heli. It is an interesting read. I glad no one go hurt but I still fail to see the point of all the risk. I would find it interesting to know how he worked out the was 150lbs of weight on the skids at 15kts (I don't know how to figure that out). But he did it and thats that my opinion is unchanged but at least he the us all know why he did it good on him.

Ben
100ft
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby 100ft » Wed Dec 11 2013, 22:20

He's just private operator, he doesn't know any better. He has a number of questionable videos floating around.
Rotorpilot
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Rotorpilot » Wed Dec 11 2013, 23:10

BenThomas wrote:And the point of it was? Was it for an advert, movies ect. I'm glad to see there was planning taken into consideration but still why?

I guess you could say...because it look cool? **^** pop;

what about keeping up with the joneses viewtopic.php?t=4195&start=20
there are plenty of ppl just do random acts without doing proper "pre flights" lol

I know safety is an issue but when it going to fall back on the person/s for what they chose to do. and not then have to go through the courts to change law. soon no-one will be allowed to fart without written permission :roll: although this already happens with my wife :lol:

look what we have lost because if this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0SN3tG4Atk
Dem winds are gonna blow
Nawty
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Nawty » Sun Dec 15 2013, 05:22

Thats awesome.

I think he did it because he can...I mean how many mustering pilots would go and have a hoot with that ?

I know I would....bet Milton would even tow a skier.

Return to “Just for fun”