Seen this plank (not a fixed wing)

Fancy something that gives you a giggle?
twinturbine
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Seen this plank (not a fixed wing)

Postby twinturbine » Wed Jul 25 2012, 09:31

Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Seen this plank (not a fixed wing)

Postby Pegs » Wed Jul 25 2012, 09:47

Geeze I bet that's good for the blades. :O
A good idea needs landing gear as well as wings to get off the ground.
twinturbine
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby twinturbine » Thu Jul 26 2012, 09:51

Was thinkin that myself Pegs!...
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Fri Jul 27 2012, 21:56

OK, I have tried to resist the temptation to say exactly what I think, due to having a few bad days myself, I figured safer not to let fly in case it wasn't really deserved, however keeping that in mind, and today having been a pretty good day, I'm going to say what I think of the photo and the actions posted above and would be interested to see if anyone else shares the same concerns.

Firstly, I never have and never will be a fan of "Planking", however that aside, I was disturbed to see the photo of this person laying across the rotor blades of this helicopter and it got me thinking about the ramifications of such a stupid irresponsible act. The first thought that sprang to mind was " there is no way I would fly that aircraft". When in flight school, I remember one of the first things we we taught was safe handling of blades, not to pull down or exert any downwards pressure on them. With that in mind I considered the effects of having a 70 - 90 kg person clambering up my helicopter and unevenly distributing their wieght along the length of the blades, putting pressure not only on the blades, that they were not designed to withstand, but also on the main rotor hub, the pitch links and all the rest that makes up the rotor system. My second thought was what unseen damage has been caused to the blade and it's integrity by this pressure being placed up on it?

I would like to point those questions at a LAME for comment, as in my view as a pilot, that machine has just been rendered un airworthy, until full inspections have been done to verify the integrity of the rotor system.

So now that leaves the idiot who so selfishly, seeing only themselves and an opportunity to show off for a photo has placed potentially an aircraft and it's crew in a very dangerous situation. If this was an emergency aircraft, lives could be lost,, just due to the down time of the machine that should have been in service, now needing a full maintenance work up to restore its airworthiness for safe flight. I shudder to think of the damage such an act would have on say an R44's blades, should someone decide to copy this stupid inderviduals act.

Which leads to my next problem with this photo, it gives others ideas, of doing such a thing themselves, people are increasingly becoming sheep, and where one went others will follow, with little regard to the far reaching effects of their actions, which seemed so harmless at the time.

So now we have people who think it might be cool to climb up onto an aircrafts rotor blades to have their photos taken. Should I discover such a person attempting to, or in the act of doing such a thing to my aircraft they would be promptly delivered to the nearest police officer, and I would certainly press charges for interfering with an aircraft, and anything else I could throw at them.

Unfortunately helicopters are usually a little more accessible then planes, quite often being landed in the paddock rather than inside the chain fence of the airport, and allowing access to people just like this clown. It disappoints me to see things Ike this, as it serves to only further make me lose faith in the majority of people out the today, and their ability to make sound sensible decisions. What happened to if you don't know how to work it leave it alone?

Shaking head Pegs.

Ps

Sorry for the rant all, but this really ticked me off, I had to get it off my chest.
black duck
Capt Poppet
Capt Poppet

Postby black duck » Sat Jul 28 2012, 00:49

There's a reasons why Darwin invented natural selection! It is so idiots like that could not pollute the gene pool (and he is pissing in it!!) :roll:
"It's wabbit seathon! It' duck seathon! I dare you to shoot me now!"
driftersabre
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby driftersabre » Sat Jul 28 2012, 02:51

Thats not a plank!
If anyone can plank on a R44 blade, then they should be on the Olympic team.
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Sat Jul 28 2012, 03:48

Lol, true that. I know the heavy military type machines are built to withstand all sorts of punishment, and a person sitting on the blades probably wouldn't worry them too much, the worry I have, is that the general public wouldn't know the difference between a 22, aN As350 or an EMS machine, they see a big helicopter, or a small helicopter, and sadly like sheep they have a tendency to follow others actions unthinkingly. My problem is that photos Iike this one give people ideas, they should not be trying at home. The sheep tendency is a little too quick to come into play in my opinion. That's what worries me the most when I see fads like planking being followed by the masses.
twinturbine
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby twinturbine » Sat Jul 28 2012, 08:58

Hear Hear Pegs, I completelY agree, nonsensical behaviour!

Return to “Just for fun”